Thursday, March 12, 2009

Before my wife....

When my father was young, he was a mechanic and later in his life worked on powder metal presses. My mother was a nurse. Well, I became a mechanical engineer, but love to work on engines of all types. However, my dad used to smile at me cuz I would constantly wash my hands because of my mom - I was the cleanest mechanic my father had even seen.

I have been designing mechanical and hydraulic presses for the last 12 years. I love fixing anything mechanical. I have repaired cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles and even American Flyer trains. I have typically surrounded myself with guys that have the same traits. Working on stuff is what calms me.

Now I am a first time Daddy and other than being nervous and anxious I have never experienced anything that I couldn't fix. Well when the boy screams and screams and there is nothing that I can do to calm him, I feel pretty inept at being a father. My dad was everything to me - teacher, guide, friend, bouncing board. Both my brother and sister are excellent parents with their families. I've got a long way to go.

I learned calculus. I even learned to enjoy it (if that's believeable). Now I have to learn to be a great Dad, if tha's even possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment