Friday, March 13, 2009

New Tractor (Cub 125)


Well ya know I like to fix stuff. I like cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

Well those take lots of room and money.

A few years back, I fixed a mower that a neighbor threw out. It was junk to him, but in an hour and some tinkering, I was mowing my lawn. I sold it, and so began a new hobby. Actually one that makes money, or at least funds itself.

Some three years later, about 20 push mowers, 15 tractors, and a couple of weedeaters, snowblowers, and other items like that; I now surf craigslist and ebay for the next project.

Tomorrow, I head to Cleveland to buy a 40 some odd year old Cub Cadet 125 that has several accessories: snowplow, 42" mowing deck, rear tiller, and tow behind cart. I am quite hopeful from discussions with the current owner that getting it running will be easy. I'm sure it will need sandblasted and painted, a new battery, drive belts, and basic tune up and grease job.

I like the old ones - they actually can do a lot more than a tractor bought today. Plus, since I found my Cub Cadet 169 hidden behind an old barn in Randolph, Ohio a few years back and spent many hours bringing it up to full strength, and then a paint job. It has been my favorite rebuild to date. The tractor is hydraulic drive, 16hp, came with a 50" deck and 42" plow. I have since purchased a 42" snowblower (which works great), and a 42" rear rototiller and rear drive gearbox. I am looking forward to the new 125 project.


Here's a pic of my 169 just after the new paint. I still hadn't re-installed the headlight panel yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment